Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Slow Travel: Taking in Turtles at New York's Bronx Zoo

I thought it would be easy to figure out the type of turtles we saw on our trip to the wonderful Bronx Zoo, after I'd returned home to California - But the zoo has an extensive reptile collection! Should have looked more closely when I went. 

I wonder if these are the same variety of turtle that lives in the turtle pond at Central Park, just below Belvedere Castle? We had a very lovely picnic there one evening in late August.

This zoo not only has great extensive natural habitats for it's non-human animal inhabitants, it also has wonderful landscaping that made our hot summer day very pleasant. Their are many varied eateries too, which is handy if you didn't bring along a peanut butter sandwich like I did!

Riding the zoo monorail was an especially nice treat as you look down on many endangered animals not viewable from the main zoo. I've long been partial to wild Mongolian Przwalski's Horses who live in the monorail-only area.



No comments:

Post a Comment